This past Monday, Matthew Mercouris and I hosted our second UCONNECT event.
This event, different to the last, had a specific focus on the power of collaboration.
We invited a range of students who have signed up to our platform (from different faculties, backgrounds and varying skillsets) to take part in an interactive event, kindly hosted by GOODWORK in Woodstock, Cape Town.
The agenda of the event was as follows:
- Jaco van Schalkwyk CFP® from Plan-B BlueStar gave a great presentation on managing taxes for small businesses to ensure adequate cash flow
- Matthew Wheeler-Barrett shared his interesting story thus far with his business, REWEAR.
- Daniel Pretorius assisted us in running a collaborative simulation whereby 3 of our UCONNECT entrepreneurs pitched their business ideas to all of the attendees
- The remainder of the attendees broke off into (random) smaller groups and were given allocated time to identify problems and solutions to one of the pitches.
- The groups then presented valuable feedback to all of the attendees.
We received really positive responses from the attendees, as this event did not only provide a platform for the three entrepreneurs to get valuable feedback and insights into their ideas, but it also provided many students with their first opportunity to collaborate with people who think differently.
Overall, the feedback and energy was great and we were able to get a taste of the endless possibilities when we break down silos and collaborate!