I was really moved by our guest lecture at University of Cape Town today:
Sharron L McPherson (Co-Founder of the Centre of Disruptive Technologies) shared her views on disruption, innovation, collaboration and forward thinking strategies from an African perspective.
Some key takeouts from her lecture:
1. We need African solutions for African problems
2. What’s stopping Africans from creating our own IP?
3. Digitisation means accessing information anytime, anywhere and for free
4. We need managed innovation processes (it’s not good enough to be a 1-hit-wonder)
5. The biggest threat to innovation in Africa is disciplined implementation
6. We need to understand the new economic paradigm and quickly!
7. We need to stop operating in silos, we need to encourage a culture of collaboration